Saturday 17 January 2009

The Big Day Part 2

Well I am not the best patient when waking up from anesthetic (I kicked a surgeon after a knee op) and today is no different. Fortunately I have pre-warned the team of my reaction to this so before they have even wheeled me into recovery and woken me up Tim and my Mum are called in.

I cant remember any of this but from what I have been told I woke up and started screaming and crying hysterically. I was desperate to get off the bed and was pulling at my eye patch trying to take it off.I had to be held down by mum and Tim says my reaction was so shocking that he had to go and sit outside. I was swearing about the pain and screaming that I wanted to be in Dubai! After they eventually calmed me down and sorted my pain relief I was OK just really drowsy and thirsty.

I came out of theatre at 1.30 so the Op took just under two hours. I ask the nurse whether the DALK has been done and he replies that they have had to do a Penetrating Keratoplasty (PK) where the full thickness of my cornea is replaced rather than part. I was aware that this might be the case as it depended on how deep the scarring was. My mum gets me a yogurt from the canteen as I cant face eating a sandwich or biscuits and I have four cups of tea. My obs done a couple of times and I am allowed to go home at 4.30ish with two packs of drops and a guide to recovery.

The only way I can describe the feeling is like having tiny pieces of glass covering your eye and the area around my eye feels really bruised. It is covered with padding and a patch for the night so I take some cocodemal after dinner and try to get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment